Saturday, June 7, 2014

What is To the Rezcue?



Let's start off with an introduction.

Hi. My name is Alexandria Glynn and I will be entering my junior year this fall. I have 2 passions in life; animals and film/photography. My sophomore year was a year of discovery. Yes, I got my first camera when I turned 12, yes I grew up with a dog and always connected with 4 legged creatures, yes I've always known what I love... but this year was special. I've always had compassion for animals (and not to sound crude, but it doesn't bother me when humans die in movies, but if it's the dog.... then god, i lose it. I was a wreck when Dobby died in Harry Potter, he counts as an animal right?). And I'm always the person behind the camera, never in front. I have 2 dogs, Wookie, wheaten terrier, and Tashi, rez dog. Of course I don't eat meat, I'm your stereotypical animal rights advocate but I've stepped it up a notch and successfully and completely become vegan. I also enjoy rock music, drawing, painting, netflix, and peanut butter.



Why was my sophomore year special?

I moved to Durango, Colorado the summer of 2013. Up until then I had lived in Florida my entire life. Culture shock, I know. I wanted to branch out, explore new things, and succumb to new opportunities. This was a year of new beginnings. Yeah, coming into 10th grade at a new school in a different state, I didn't make many friends. Although the few friends I made were the guys over at La Plata County Humane Society, the local animal shelter. Other interests I indulged in were photography, I took a 35mm film class the first semester and adv. digital photo my second semester. Durango High School divides the 9th & 10th graders into SLCs: Basecamp (group work orientated), Atlas (advanced core curriculum), and DaVinci (art and creativity orientated). Obviously, I was a DaVinci student. Part of being in DaVinci was having to do a final capstone project for the year. It is basically a semester-long project in which we had to address an issue important to us and get involved in our community somehow. And thus, To the Rezcue is born! Throughout my sophomore year I focused in on working at the animal shelter through an internship and building work for a portfolio.

Okay, let's get to the point here.

To the Rezcue is a project I started in January 2014. It started out with addressing the issue of animal abuse/neglect (in my opinion, there is no worse crime a human could commit, and the worst part is, it isn't even seen as a crime to half of the world because animals are not seen as equals! I could rant about this all day... but you can read about that later! hehe). By incorporating my photography & my love for animals (like the clever genius I am) I established To the Rezcue as a project to raise awareness for dogs of the Navajo Reservation by documenting their living conditions. I have built a To the Rezcue portfolio of photos I have taken of dogs in Chinle, mostly starving and wandering the streets. I also have several other portfolios, some of special events like the Blackhat Humane Society's Adoption Day (Blackhat is an animal rescue organization dedicated to rez dogs) and dogs & cats of LPCHS. My photos were displayed at a local restaurant/gallery, The Lost Dog Bar & Lounge for a little over a month. I am also at the La Plata County Humane Society 3-4 days a week hanging with the rez dogs currently up for adoption! I have spent a lot of time volunteering with organizations helping the cause. The next part of my project will be to go out to the Reservation (again) and to make a short documentary, filming the humane society rescuing dogs. We have been raising money for quite a while to be able to fund this venture out to the wild, wild south!

Contact Info

You can see more current progress with the humane society and my adventures on my facebook page. And you can also donate to my website!

No comments:

Post a Comment